Founded in 1883 by Thomas Watson, 600 ships were built by 1989 when “The Yard” closed. From Dec. 7, 1941 until the end of the war, Fore River Shipyard built 92 naval vessels of 11 different types; the most notable types being the battleship, carrier, heavy and light cruisers, and destroyers for which the yard has been known. This great effort earned Fore River shipyard the highly prized Navy “E”. This honor was bestowed on May 15, 1942. Four stars were subsequently added.